|T e a c h i n g|
Dr. Pinder is involved with the MD undergraduate program through medical/dental education (PBL, lectures and laboratories), medical education research, curriculum development and faculty support and development. She is the Director for years 1 and 2 MD/DMD Histology, teaches aspects of physiology and embryology and is a PBL tutor in the medical curriculum.
Dr. Pinder has active interests in medical student assessment and is involved in examination preparation and review with the Medical Council of Canada (MCC), the International Database for Enhanced Assessments and Learning (IDEAL) Consortium and in the UBC Faculty of Medicine. Her research interests in medical education are directed at strategies used to implement, maintain and improve upon distributed teaching techniques for the education of medical students.
|P u b l i c a t i o n s|
1. K.E. Pinder, J.C. Ford and W.K. Ovalle. A New Paradigm for Teaching Histology Laboratories in Canada’s First Distributed Medical School. 2008. Anat. Sci. Ed. May 1 (3): 95-101.
2. J.C. Ford, K.E. Pinder, W.K. Ovalle and C.H. Li. Pathology Education in a Multi-Site Urban/Rural Distributed Curriculum. 2008. Human Pathology. June 39 (6): 811-816.
3. Mancl, M.E., Hu, G., Sanster-Guity, N., Olshalsky, S., Hoops, K., Fitzgerald-Bocarsly, P., Pitha, P.M., Pinder, K. and Barnes, B.J. Two discrete promoters regulate the alternatively-spliced human Interferon Regulatory Factor-5 isoforms: Multiple isoforms with distinct cell type-specific expression, localisations, regulation and function. 2005. Journal of Biological Chemistry. June 280 (22): 21078-90.
4. Barnes, B.J., Kellum, M.J., Pinder, K.E., Frisancho, J.A. and Pitha, P.M. IRF-5, a novel mediator of p53-induced cell-cycle arrest and cell death. 2003. Cancer Research. Oct. 1; 63 (19): 6424-31.
5. K.E. Pinder, C.A. Ferguson, S.H. Kidson. Cloning and Functional Analysis of the Avian Melanocyte-type Isoform of Microphthalmia. 2001. Pigment Cell Research. 14: 380-422.
For further information please click here.
|C o n f e r e n c e P r e s e n t a t i o n s|
1. Karen Pinder, Stan Bardal, Pawel Kindler. Tips and Experiences from Five Years of Videoconferenced Medical Anatomical Sciences Education. International Congress of the Federation of Association of Anatomists. Cape Town, South Africa. 16-19 August 2009. Abstract accepted for poster presentation.
2. O. Korj C. Lin, K. Pinder, W. Ovalle, R. Walters, H. Yule. Creating online Histology study tools for Medical/Dental students at the University of British Columbia (UBC). Experimental Biology Annual Meeting. New Orleans, U.S.A. 18-22 April 2009.
3. C. Lin, O. Korj, K. Pinder, W. Ovalle, H. Yule, R. Walters. Upgrading Virtual Histology Tools for Medical/Dental Students at the University of British Columbia (UBC). Canadian Conference on Medical Education. Edmonton, Alberta. 2-6 May 2009.
4. O. Korj, C. Lin, K. Pinder, W. Ovalle, R. Walters, H. Yule. Creating online Histology study tools for Medical/Dental students at the University of British Columbia (UBC). Cellular and Physiological Sciences Research Retreat. Vancouver, B.C. 16 January 2009.
5. C. Lin, O. Korj, K. Pinder, W. Ovalle, H. Yule, R. Walters. Upgrading Virtual Histology Tools for Medical/Dental Students at the University of British Columbia (UBC). Cellular and Physiological Sciences Research Retreat. Vancouver, B.C. 16 January 2009.
6. Pinder, K.E., Ford, J.C. and Ovalle, W.K. A New Paradigm for Teaching Histology in Canada’s First Distributed Medical School. Experimental Biology Annual Meeting. San Diego, California, U.S.A. 5-9 April 2008.
7. Ford, J.C., Pinder, K.E., Ovalle, W.K. and Li, C.H. Pathology Education in a Multi-Site Urban/Rural Distributed Curriculum. Canadian Laboratory Medicine Congress. Toronto, Ontario, Canada. 9-13 June 2007.
8. Bradley, A.J., Mason, B.M. and Pinder, K.E. Problem Based Learning Tutor Training. Celebrating e-Learning at UBC. Vancouver, B.C. Canada. 02 March 2005.
9. Pinder, K.E., Barnes, B.J. and Pitha, P.M. Differential Regulation of Alternative Promoters of Human IRF-5. Annual Meeting of the International Society of Interferon and Cytokine Research (ISICR). Cairns, Australia. 26-30 October 2003.
10. Mancl, M.E., Pinder, K.E., Kellum, M.J. and Barnes, B.J. Role of IRF-5 as a Tumour Suppressor in Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer. Flight Attendant Medical Research Institute (FAMRI) Second Annual Symposium. Miami, U.S.A. 14-16 May 2003.
11. Lubyova, B., Frisancho, J.A., Pinder, K.E., Barnes, B.J. and Pitha, P.M. Role of KSHV Encoded vIRF-3/LANA in AIDS Lymphogenesis. Seventh International Conference on Malignancies in AIDSS and Other Immunodeficiencies: Basic, Epidemiological and Clinical Research. Bethesda, U.S.A. 28-29 April, 2003.
12. Pinder, K.E., Barnes, B.J. and Pitha, P.M. The IRF-5 Promoter. The Cancer Centre Fellow Research Day, The Johns Hopkins University. Baltimore, U.S.A. 17 April 2003.
13. Pinder, K.E., Ferguson, C.A. and Kidson, S.H. Cloning and Functional Analysis of the Avian Melanocyte-type Isoform of Microphthalmia. Tenth Annual Meeting of the European Society of Pigment Cell Research. Rome, Italy. 26-29 September 2001.
14. Pinder, K.E. and Kidson, S.H. Characterisation and Functional Analysis of the Chicken Melanocyte-type Microphthalmia Transcription Factor. XVIth International Symposium on Morphological Sciences. Sun City, South Africa. 22-26 July 2001.